Tuesday, April 1, 2008

wanna watch a movie?

About a year ago, an ex-boyfriend called me because he was really upset. He wasn't upset at me but was annoyed with a young woman he was "dating." My ex, an Israeli, told me that he went to this womans apartment to pick her up for a date and she asked him if they could just stay home and watch a movie. He thought this was a great idea but confided in me that he had no idea that anything physical was going to happen.

Fast forward to a few days ago when a male friend of mine asked me what it meant when someone asks "do you want to come over and watch a movie?" My comment back to both of them was "have you been living under a rock???" Granted, I've had the experience of "watching a movie" with someone and actually just watching a movie! However, this is not the norm.

After polling quite a few people (in an unofficial poll) with the question of "what does it mean to you when someone (of the opposite sex) asks you to come over and watch a movie?" most people said "booty call!" or variations of that answer. What I found interesting is that the consensus said there was a difference between the two sexes.

When I asked men if they believe a womans motive is different when asking a man to come watch a movie, most of them said "yes." Those that said yes tend to believe that a woman who asks such a question wants some form of attention - not necessarily sexual. It was their perception that a woman didn't want to share the man with the rest of the world for the evening.
When I asked women about their motives when asking a man to come over and watch a movie, while some said "sometimes a movie is just a movie," most said "sex. I'm looking to hook-up." However, an overwhelming response said that when they asked a guy to come over and watch a movie, they were disappointed when the guy didn't make a move sexually. My response to them was "how was he supposed to know that's what you wanted??"

I make a good point. The difference between the sexes does not lie in what they mean behind the phrase- but rather in their perception of what the ask-ee asks the ask-er.

My ex also asked me why he hadn't heard from this woman in a few days. My answer: she's just not into you. I told him that she likely wanted to see what it was like to sleep with him but that is pretty much all she wanted. His response was "women do that too???" Yes. Women do that too. Men can also be like that but it has been my experience (through talking to various friends) that this depends on the guy.

So, here's my question to my readers: what does "do you want to come over and watch a movie" mean to YOU? (If you want to be anonymous, email them to guide.hlr@gmail.com) Post it here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To me, it means let's watch a movie. Anything else depends on the vibe I'm getting and whether I'm comfortable with more. But I will say this. The reason I want to stay in, as opposed to go out, is so that there is, at least, the possibility of at least some comfortable cuddling, if not more.